A new specification for Leaving Certificate Physical Education was introduced on a phased basis in September 2018 and has been examined for the first time in 2020.
The subject consists of;
- a final written examination worth 50% of the marks
- a physical activity project to be completed under the supervision of the class teacher, worth 20% of the marks
- a performance assessment to be completed under the supervision of the class teacher, worth 30% of the marks available for this subject.
The aim of Leaving Certificate Physical Education is to develop the learner’s capacity to become an informed, skilled, self-directed and reflective performer in physical education and physical activity in senior cycle and in their future life
The objectives of Leaving Certificate Physical Education are to develop the learner’s:
- performance in physical activity
ability to reflect on performance in physical activity
- knowledge and understanding of the factors which influence performance and participation in physical activity
appreciation of the benefits of physical activity for lifelong health and wellbeing
- capacity to undertake different roles in physical activities
- understanding of the principles underlying ethical participation in physical activity